Monday, April 18, 2011

The GREAT Wall

Wow, what a day. We went to the great wall and when we got there we were told we had 1 ½ hours. That was bad new because I have to say it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen or done and I could have spent the whole day there. I never realized how high up the wall was. (or at least the section we were at was) The wall runs for around 5000 miles so we only saw a very small portion. The stairs were slick, sloped, uneven, and part of the time more like climbing a rock ladder than steps but the kids made it all the way to the top on their own. Determined to take every step by themselves and that was not a small task. Almost no one else in our group made it that far. I notice that once we were back down my legs were shaking like leaves so I am guessing we might have some kids up tonight with pain in their legs. After that we had another authentic Chinese meal ( all of us enjoyed it ). Then we Came back into Beijing and visited the birds nest and the water cube. For those of you who have forgotten that is where the 2008 Olympics were held. Next we went to an acrobat show then back to the room and here we are packing up getting ready to fly to Zhengzhou tomorrow (where we will meet Hannah). I know it all sounds like a vacation and to be honest they have kept us so busy it is easy to forget why we are here but that all ends tonight. We are all ready to get on with the process. We have had a ball and are all worn out but ready for the adventure that lies ahead. So far, this trip has been almost nothing like our trip to Kazakhstan to get Andrew and Elizabeth. But I suppose that is good since we brought them along on this trip to get their baby sister. They have really handled the trip great. At least as good as Holly and I and we expect they will be a big help getting Hannah to be comfortable around us. Thanks for sticking with us and praying for us. We will really need it over the next week or so. It is great having such wonderful friends and family back home that we can count on…Love you guys (and gals)

9 Comments:

Blogger Nanny said...

So glad you are all enjoying your great adventure. Troopers all. Isn't that you do when you take a trip...wear yourselves out but well worth it. Makes getting home that much more wonderful. Love ya lots and lots

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Aunt Sara said...

Love this picture (by the Great Wall) The sight seeing sounds great too and I definitely agree having Andrew and Elizabeth there will make the transition for Hannah smoother. Can't wait to see her here on the blog AND in Kentucky!! Love you all!!

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Aunt Crystal said...

I'm with your Aunt Sara... I can't wait to see them all back in KY, but glad they are having a great time! Hopefully the work around that Sam and I are working on is going to work, and he will be able to post us some videos of Hannah and the kids so we can see them in action before they even get here! :) Love you guys! Praying for all!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Nanny said...

yes! yes! videos would be great. Am anxious to see what she thinks of Andrew and Elizabeth. Know they already love her.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Holly!

Are there two ladies in your travel group named Summer and Brandi? I can't believe this but I think my good friend from Savannah, GA is there with you! I don't know if you remember me telling you about her she is the one who adopted the little boy from China! She is there now with her friend Summer supporting her in her adoption of a little girl!
I just can't believe it but I think you two are together! Tell Brandi you know me! I already posted to her FB account! If you are together Brandi is a wonderful Godly women and give each other a hug for and from me!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It posted my comment as annoymous...and I was so excited I forgot to sign it!

This is Sarah Link

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember those stairs to the top of the wall!!! Good job Andrew and Elizabeth!!!!! I know how your legs must feel. I am so glad you are all having a good time, and enjoying the food. Praying for you all as your time to meet Hannah is getting so close! Love you!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Renea McDowell said...

So glad you guys made it safely and are having lots of adventures. Can't wait to hear all about your sweet new daughter!!!! We are eagerly anticipating her being with you and her big brother and big sissy!!! Cameron and Savannah are praying daily and we are as well. Love you all!!!!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Heather said...

I remember those stairs to the top of the wall!!! Good job Andrew and Elizabeth!!!!! I know how your legs must feel. I am so glad you are all having a good time, and enjoying the food. Praying for you all as your time to meet Hannah is getting so close! Love you!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home