Wednesday, July 01, 2015

I would walk 500 hundred miles just to be......

We traveled a long way today, We Were in the car for around 12 hours. It's a new law that you must travel to the childs original orphanage
to have their passport photo taken so we drove there took a photo looked at her orphanage and came home. but wow the sights we got to see.
Traveling through rural China that was interspersed with huge city after huge city.
We would look off in the distance and see what we thought was a mountain in the distance and as we got closer and the smog cleared (slightly)
We would find it was another huge city. Many of them brand new but never lived in. Like maybe 50 hi rise apartment buildings 30-40 stories tall
started but never finished. I had seen something about it on tv once but it was weird seeing them in person.
The city we finally arrived at to get Lukes passport photo was like a ghost town. Like walking through New York city in one of those apocalypse movies.
In route we passed a huge concrete and steel tower that we were told was almost 400 meters tall. Second largest only to one in tokyo, Japan..
The enormity of the structures they build here blow my mind. But with almost 2 billion people at your disposal I guess the skys the limit.
 
As to the orphanage we visited, it is half orphanage half old folks home. Big, but pretty run down. The room we went in we recognized from the pictures they sent us of Luke. I counted 20 kids in the room. Most of them just laying in bed. But there was a 4 year old boy that caught Andrews and my eye. We got the camera out and played with him and we both agreed if there was a way we would like to take him home.
If I understand right 4 is the oldest child they allow there so he will be having
to transfer to a new home soon. It's an emotional ride every day here.
While we were there we needed hot water for a bottle so we asked them to prep a bottle like they usually do. When they brought it out it was super hot. I asked Andrew
to hold it for me and the outside was too hot for him to even hold. Imagine how hot it was on the inside....
We had all watched earlier with amazement as our driver had sucked down a bowl of soup so hot that the steam surrounding his face looked like he was taking a shower.
I guess it's just part of the culture here.
Hannah has adjusted well and is becoming a great little helper. She thinks Luke is funny and laughs and laughs at him. But after a long day as she gets tired she needs
a little extra attention from all of us and of course she gets it.
I wish I had pictures here of Elizabeth when she was a baby. This kid not only acts like her he looks like her. Thumb sucking and nose tapping included. Of course he's not
as pretty as Elizabeth (few are) but he's a boy so he doesn't need to be. He does seem to have the same sweet demeanor as her though. I needed another easy going kid :)
 
 
 
 
 

no seat belts for the long car rides

a roadside restaurant.. most of the Chinese food here is spicy which most of my family doesn't like.
Elizabeth found a new love for tophu and fried rice here.

 
outside the gates of the orphanage

the street near where Luke was

Lukes bed (empty!! YAY!)

New big sister
Just a random shot of some pigs for your enjoyment

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you were finally able to get this posted!!!! Such sweet pictures (except for the pigs)!!! I can only imagine the emotions you must feel while there seeing how Luke has lived the first year of his life and see all the other kids that you don't get to bring home! Continued prayers for all! Love you guys! Aunt Crystal

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the things we see....Loved the pictures as usual, just wish there were more, but am amazed at the things you all have seen. Guess we would be amazed at the things we could see here also and have said a prayer of thanks for being planted right here in Western Ky. You give us such a good idea of how things are. Thanks.
Am sure missing you all right now. I know that I go for days w/o seeing you but know also that I can in less then 10 minutes if I get too hungry for some hugs. I'm hungry and you are so far away.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I signed the above Nanny....don't know where that went.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loved seeing you in (Sam) in a picture and the "I love Daddy" bib did not go unnoticed;)

I'm glad you posted the pics and told us about Luke's hometown, but it almost brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe they give them the bottles so hot! Intead of being angry it just made me sad, and that picture of his bed....it was pitiful with the pink paint peeling. I know we only saw a fraction of what your seeing so I know your heart is heavy too for all those left behind. Thank you for rescuing Luke! You and Holly are incredible for what you are doing!! Love you!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the pictures each day, it brings us into your world. Hope that Hannahs warming up to Luke. Looks like Andrew will be changing diapers by the time you get home. Found a way to get Prissy to eat her food, morning and nite. Spread skin of cooked chicken over her food for a few hours. She eats every bite. MM & GD

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam you do such an excellent job of describing to us what you see. I am very proud of you and Holly. You are surely doing the Lord,s work.I am praying that you,all will be home safe and soon.. Love Poppy

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home