Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I had sent this picture to grandparents only but Holly wanted you all to see that Elizabeth is now enjoying her baths (to a point)


Here we are with our translator Dilnosa. behind us is a typical taxi cab (all old Russian cars)


here is the notary office. very nice, yes?? we didn't get good pictures of most of the official buildings. It was not allowed.


We ventured out and went to a restaraunt today. The kids did fine but the food,,,not so good. I made the mistake again of assuming Cheeseburger would be cheese burger. It was more like meatloaf with some sour tasting cheese and cabbage on it. (plus uf course lettuce, tomato, and pickle.)
It wore us out because we packed the kids between 2 or 3 miles. But it was nice to get out.
Today was our last trip to Esik (where the kids are from) and what we will miss most are the breads from there. There is a little store there that makes he best stuff. When we first passed it we thought it was an abandoned building but turns out it is the biggest shop in Esik. Maybe the view of the mountains too but that is all. Nothing else there to miss.

Now on with court day
Perhaps now would be a good time to stop and set the scene a little bit and also give you all the characters in the tale.
First there is Gulnara our coordinator. She is an attractive Asian woman who stands about 6 feet tall has long black hair (that is so thick it actually rustles as she moves it). If she was in the US you would describe her dress as gaudy, she dresses like most teenagers but is creeping up on forty. Here though she fits right in. Thankfully for us she is incredible at her job!!!

Second there is the babyhouse director. Again Asian, probably in her late forties. Very attractive and confident looking. We fell in love with her at the babyhouse. She is such a caring woman and turns out to be one of our strongest allies.

Third the minister of education – Asian, somewhere between 50 and 60. A quiet woman with short hair and bright pink lipstick. Holly wanted to get after her eyebrows with a weedwhacker but I thought when she was younger she was probably a very attractive woman.

Fourth, the secretary (stenographer) Plump and board with her job. That pretty much describes her. She was Russian and probably around 30????

Fifth is the prosecutor. I pretty much described her already. I did leave of her old fashioned glasses that didn’t seem to help because she squinted all the time. Very snooty and unpleasant but then again, she obviously didn’t think much of me either.

The judge also was described earlier but I should say that even though she walked in like a lion, she walked out like a lamb (or actually in this case she seemed more like a grandma in the end)

7th was Dilnosa, she is 23, asian, with long black hair and is as nervous as Holly and I. She only translates written documents but in this case they didn’t have another translator for us. She did a wonderful job and Holly and I will always remember her help.

Holly and I finish up the characters in the room. You may have noticed that I was the only male. Perhaps in other muslim countries this would have been an advantage but trust me, in this court is was a womans world!!!

We (Holly and I) were dressed in our best but everyone else (except the prosecutor) was dress like they were going to a disco. Most people here dress more 70’s and 80’s American style. They are obviously influenced by our movies but they are a few decades behind.
The court building sets in the middle of what I thought was slums but then everything in Esik looks that way. The view from this place is awesome. Esik sets right at the base of the mountains and you would think you were at a resort unless you look around you or inhale.
They leave all the windows open in the courthouse because it is hot. And outside you can hear roosters crowing and dogs barking. Also the people milling around outside.
While everyone was yelling, I could hear the rooster outside and I thought of the horsemeat in the corner of the room (for the tea party) I almost smiled but caught myself. I know that would be frowned upon but it literally felt like a kangaroo court you would see on tv.. It was almost surreal, like you were watching a car crash in slow motion. To put it simply, Nothing felt real…..

I know I haven’t told you the rest of the tale yet but we can do that tomorrow.
Quickly I will tell you that today we again had to leave the kids for many hours to finalize some paperwork. We now have new birth certificates with their names officially changed and we have all the adoption papers from court. It is completely a done deal. There is still more paperwork to do before we are allowed to leave the country with them but we should still be home on the 14th.
One week from now we will leave this apartment for the airport to fly home.

I can not tell you how excited and thankful we are that this journey is so near the end. We could not have made it without all of your support and prayers. Please continue and we’ll see you in 8 days…… love

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scene does sound a little like it was made for reality tv! How wonderful for you all, the countdown until home begins! I imagine with all these local family and friends watching, you will have no shortage of sitters so that you can get some well deserved good food and sleep! Congratulations on a remarkable faith-building season with God. I know you can't wait to get back to your own bed, your own shower and fully functioning washing machine and dryer! Ahhhhh, dryer sheets, doesn't that sound nice!

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the "grandparents only" pic with us. It sure was sweet and nice to see Elizabeth warming up to her baths. Forgot to ask about the "tea party"....did you try the horse meat? One week and counting!!! Still praying for you....Christy

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam and Holly, This blogging thing keeps getting me in trouble. Someone was trying to reach me earlier today and I was accused of being on the internet AGAIN checking on you. Some things are worth getting in trouble for. I am glad that court is behind you and the paper work is almost done. I feel like this has been like a good book and I am getting close to the end. I am excited to see how it will turn out but I dread being done with the book or should I say blog. That probably sounds crazy to you, but I know what I mean. I am so happy that you will be returning home within a week. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how great they are 100% yours!! We will continue to pray, and hope you do get home soon. It sounds all so crazy but that is how it is in other parts of the world. We are so blessed here in the usa. The bath pic. was great compared to her others. I don't really want to know about the tea party! praying for you all love Elva

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I just talked to Daddy, I thought years from now when Elizabeth and Andrew read their "book", I did not want you to think I was losing interest in you and your lives. So this is just for the two of you. I love you!! I am so happy and thankful that you are now part of our family. Your Daddy just said one week and 3 hours until you get home. We are counting the minutes and can hardly wait to meet you.

All my love
Aunt Sara

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Dunning Family,
Congratulations! May God continue to bless your new family. The adventure is just begining with the children. Enjoy every moment you have because before long you will turn around and they will be grown.Hope after you all get settled in you will bring them to Sharpe M. Baptist for a visit. God Bless and God Speed! Jennifer, Mark, Kenzlea and Keaton Kaufman

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you guys. Congratulations. You guys make a great family picture by the way. We can't wait to play with the babies. Now we just have to pray you all the way home. We are still praying for you. We are also praying you get your nights and days straight once you get back home.
Melissa Lewis(from Mt. Zion)

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations ! I am so tickled for you that it is almost over. I know your family is getting more anxious by the minute to see & hug all of you. I could hardly wait to get back from hairdresser so I could read the update, of course I didn't get to read until now, grandson (2yrs) decided to get into the Baby Magic lotion & apparently thought Papa's work shoes as well as others stunk because he filled them full with the lotion. Oh well just wipe them out & explain that we don't do that & then hug the little stinker, just think before long you guys will have two conspiring against you, oh what fun you will have though. I love the picture of Elizabeth, you can see the love in her eyes. Thanks for letting us some which are strangers follow through with you on this wonderful & amazing journey. I will check for updates. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. I can hardly wait to meet these little ones in person.

Lori W. (Sharpe Baptist)

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hay Kids, I just got home from Hospital, (Holly, I saw Andrea and Samantha, she is a little cutie,) and will be leaving in a few minutes to go to the girls VBall game. We will pick up Hannah to go with us if she is still game..
Just wanted to check in and say I LOVE YOU!!! and counting the days...Love Mom
ps. Holly, I had taken your Mom an 8X10 of Elizabeth in her bath.
E. as usual, was looking at her Mommy and can't stop grinning...:-O

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cant wait to c u when u get home. i talked to mom and dad about the fun in the court, it is good that u got through it ok. i am in the process of making a career move to the Home Depot across town. if everything goes as planned i will be the lumber and building materials dept. supervisor. i am going to be so happy to be off nights. well enough about me i just wanted to tell you guys that i love u and cant wait to take some time off to come home and c u and the kids. also i have got some very exciting news to tell u when u get home(if mom and dad havent already told u)if they have then just pertend to be surprised. the first family pic. looks so cool, i am going to have a camera for when you get back. 8 days :)

Love Uncle Derek

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys!!! I'm so happy for all of you, the Dunning family.. I will continue to read about your trip and pray for your safe return.. Can't wait to play with the babies and throw you guys a huge shower at the church.. God Bless.. Cindy Hahn

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,Holly et el; jUST GOT BACK FROM Smith GROVE. hauled my bull off. I couln't wait to get on and get the latest. THANKS AS USUAL FOR KEEPING US ABREAST.(I AM AWFULLY GOOOD AT THIS TYPING) Still praying and still wishing for time to fly... love poppy

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Yall,

I have been out of town and had some catching up to on all that is happening there! Congratulations things become official. I will continue to pray for you guys! I can't even begin to imagine how anxious you are to get home! I can't wait to meet those two darlin' angels! Love you guys!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew and Elizabeth,

I know you don't know or understand now but two of the most wonderful people have just become your mommy and daddy. There are not many out there more blessed than you. God has given you a gift, that someday when you know Him you will understand. We all know what a gift you are to your mommy and daddy but they are a gift to you as well. I am so happy for you. Someday when you are old enough to read all these postings in your book, I hope you see how much all these people love you. Before we even meet you! We all thank God He has given us the privelege to be your family, your friends, your playmates, and your church family. You are very loved and we are anxiously awaiting your arrival home.
We love you.
Andrea and family

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woooooow, We're wore out from just reading your adventure... Ya sure that this really happened???
All prayers answered, we'll see you'all (4) in a week.
Love Mom and Dad

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Family and Friends,
I just wanted to take a quick moment (the kids are napping) and tell you how much thankful I am for the thoughts and prayers that went up for us on court day. Even though it was a very tough day, we made it through and our prayers were answered. It was comforting to know in the midst of the yelling and shouting in the courtroom that half-way across the world our friends/family were quietly kneeling and interceding on our behalf. We couldn't have done it without you all!!
Sam did an excellent job in court and stood his ground when things got tough. Our coordinator also really came through for us - she worked so hard to make sure we not only were given the children, but also immediate execution (waving the 14 day waiting period). It sounds so good to say we will be home next week.
By the way - for those of you wondering, we didn't get to have the "tea party." There really wasn't time, nor was anyone feeling quite in the mood. The food was eaten however by others in the court building, so it didn't go to waste. I guess Sam's 1st tea party will be with elizabeth after all!!
We are headed to the mountains today to enjoy some time with the children and relax, we'll try to get some good pics and post tonight.
love to you all,
Holly
"official" mommy to Andrew and Elizabeth

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is our first effort to join in with the others following your exciting journey. Holly may remember us, though has been a long time. We are friends of your parents. We enjoyed their visit over the past week-end.
We have been following your posts, the pictures are so special. Such precious children, and we can see that you both will make absolutely wonderful parents. Tommy and Gale will be greatest grandparents. They allowed us to travel these many miles with you, and we must say it has been quite an extraordinary adventure.
We have you on our prayer list also, and so happy that everything has gone so well. God bless you and travel safely.
The Dowds, Harold and Joan

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY DEAR FRIENDS, HOLLY AND SAM, IT APPEARS TO ME THAT WE NOW HAVE TWO NEW STORY TELLERS. PROBABLY A BOOK IS NOW IN ORDER. MUCH LOVE, PEG

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring
writers? I'm hoping to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go
for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm completely confused .. Any recommendations? Bless you!

Also visit my site ... best weight loss diet

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home