Monday, September 05, 2005

Our day in court (Part one) GOTCHA!!!

First official family photo...


Where to start on this crazy day. I guess as Winnie the pooh would say ,"the best place to begin is at the begining."

Our Nanny showed up around 7:30 and our driver and coordinator came to take us to Esik,(that is where the babyhouse is) So off we went with more gifts for people we didn't know and our tea party in tow.


We didn't want to be late for our 10:00 court date. (mustn't upset the judge) We arrived, and went to the judges office. 10:00, 10:30, 10:45. Ah, here comes the judge. A large, heavy set woman dressed in an all white pant suit and sequins (picture Rosanne Barr a little taller and with Lucille Ball red hair) storms into the room. She doesn't appear to be in a very good mood. she invites us into her chambers. Once there she realizes that the prosecutor isn't there yet and she flips out. Sends us away and goes to yelling, we couldn't understand but boy she was hot. From outside her chambers we can hear her yelling over the phone. she is obviously upset that the prosecutor isn't there.

About 30 minutes later in rushes a snooty little lady we hadn't seen before (dressed in what I would describe as a cruise ship captains outfit complete with board stripes on her shoulders, we figured she must be the prosecutor. As she passed us to enter the judges chambers, she gave us an awful glare. We knew that couldn't be good. It wasn't our fault she was late and the judge had chewed her out, but I don't think she saw it that way.

We were reinvited to the chambers where we listened to the judge and the prosecutor battle it out. Court started with people still yelling at each other. The judge turned to me and said, "Speech".

"Speech"!!!! Now?? I had practiced it a lot in the apartment and more on 1 1/2 hour drive to Esik but was anybody ready to hear me plea for the children?? I made it through with the aid of our translator Dilnosa. I went through the whole spill about how unhealthy the children were and how we needed to get them back to the US ASAP to have them checked out.(reason for immediate execution, the children are fine!) ....No one seemed impressed:O(

Here is where things got more interesting. After my speech the prosecuter tore in with the questions. She didn't seem to be able to shake me so she went to our paperwork. She wanted to know why we had only gotten police clearance for the state of KY. Not all the other states??? We tried to explain we had never lived in another state but she was very determined!! I won't tell the whole story about that but basically we finally convinced the judge that we had all the documents available to us and she moved things along.

The prosecutor wasn't phased by this however. She now moved on to our postplacement papers. We signed and had notarized a paper saying we would send Kazakhstan post placement information for 3 years after the adoption. We also knew that we would have to send pictures of the children and information on how they were doing until they were 18. The trouble was, the prosecutor didn't understand the difference between the 2.

She asked me, " would you be willing to sign a paper right now saying you will send post placement information until the children are 18? I agreed even though some quick math told me this would cost at least another $9000 over the next several years. problem solved right??? Wrong, she then told me I wasn't a citizen of Kazakhstan and therefore couldn't sign such a paper.


I am tired and we have to get up super early and be in Esik at 8 in the morning so I will give you part 2 tomorrow. (hey, you already know how it ends)

Thank you all so much,,,,We love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL family!!!
Love you,
Aunt Jane

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto to Aunt Janes comment. Will be so glad when you get home where people love and appreciate you. I know you are not used to being treated like that. The next week will be long but worth it,,,Love Mom

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow; ignorance is bliss. I'm glad I HAD NO IDEA THAT YOU WOULD GO THROUGH SUCH A TIME. I NEVER would have been able to go to sleep. I AM spending this day being thankful. Thank the Lord that you made it through the rough day and apparently got the result you wanted. If you all are as anxious to get home as we are for you to get home, you may need a pill or something. May time race till you are at our place...love poppy

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I didn't go with you'all, my "temperment" would not have helped you in the "court room". I can't stand Roseanne Barr,and with a "mouthy" prosecutor, you probably would have has to bail me out of jail. Love Dad and "Teary Eyed" Mom

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been busy and had to catch-up,, and what a day to catch-up on. Congratulations. They are so beautiful. What a story. It was meant to be,,, thats what this story keeps repeating to me. I am so excited for you. Now I feel like praying a bit harder,, till your all back home. Maybe I thought things were a bit more certain than they were. Enjoy the rest of the journey and we will all be praying and holding our breaths till you get back home. With Love, Michelle (cousin)

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam and Holly, Your family picture looks fabulous. I'm sure you will treasure it for years to come. I am so heartbroken for you that court was so difficult. I am relieved to know that Andrew and Elizabeth are now part of the Dunning crew. You have dominated my thoughts and I am praying now that you will get the rest you need to tackle whatever is on your to do list for tomorrow. I can't wait to hear part 2. I hope it includes something concerning the horse meat. I am still having trouble getting over that bit of information.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS,
I am so happy for Yall!!
Dunnings- Party of 4!Doesnt that sound wonderful!!
Prayers are still with you.
Mechele

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awsome family!!! I am so glad you guys have the court day behind you.. I'm hoping and praying for the whole family to have the strength for the rest of your journey. Can't wait for more details!!! Cindy Hahn

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a day! I'm glad you both have a sense of humor because it looks like you needed one to get through some of the hoops you had to. We're looking forward to seeing you and are praying for your safe return! What a blessing that will be! Love, the Thomasson's

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very wound up the day of the hearing. I got so mad but hid it well. I love these kids and wanted to get them home but everyone in the courtroom didn't feel that way.
At one point it look pretty certain that they did not plan on giving us alia and Bolat but thanks to all of you that plead our case to the Lord, the right verdict was rendered.
We love you all and thank you for sticking with us. We can never repay your kindness but we want you to know how much it means to us. Without you, We would not have our children. We know it is true and you should too. Our God is greater than anything that can stand against us and we praise him for that.
WE look forward to all of you seeing and holding in your arms the fruit of your prayers (Andrew and Elizabeth)

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home